After a successful inaugural last year, the second edition of the North East Festival is back in a brand new avatar in the capital. Being held from 7 to 10 November 2014 at IGNCA, Janpath, New Delhi, this year’s edition of the festival will be focused on the various business and investment opportunities that the region presents, apart from showcasing the multifarious culture and rich heritage of the North Eastern states.
North East Festival is organised by the reputed socio-cultural trust, Trend MMS, in association , North East Community of Delhi (comprising of student organizations, activists of North East India based in Delhi)and IGNCA. North East Festival has recently become the part of prestigious Delhi internatonal art festival .
The “North East Festival”, has become a brand which is synonymous with the unification of the various stakeholders of North East under one dynamic platform.The event is expected to be attended more than one lakh people, top North East icons like MC Mary Kom, Adil Hussain, Everester Anshu Jemsenpa, Boxer Shiva Thapa etc., Policymakers of the country, Chief Ministers of various North Eastern States, top bureaucrats, intellectuals, students, Investors, Tour operators, among others. Hon’ble PM is invited to inaugurate the Festival which is also expected to be attended by many senior union cabinet Ministers.
Speaking about this year’s edition, Shyamkanu Mahanta, Organiser in Chief, North East Festival said, “This year, the theme is Insurgence to Resurgence” with focus on highlighting the positive stories of entrepreneurship and development. Apart from the Carnival, Exhibition Cum Sale showcasing unique artisans and weavers of the region, organic fruits and vegetables would be presented. The objective is to present people of Delhi to understand North East India in one platform, to encourage tourism to NER.
Mahanta informed there would be serious discussion on critical issues of the region. To attract investment in ITES Sector in association with Ministry of IT, Govt of India a Seminar is organised with investors to explore investments in the ITES sector in the North East. A session on Education is expected to be chaired by Union HRD Minister would discuss about ways of introducing subjects from North East in the School College curriculum to create awareness about the region.
- State kiosks wherein each states of North East India will highlight its resources, projects
- Agri & Food Processing Exhibition cum Sale – Organic Farming, Floriculture
- Exhibition cum sale of Handloom & handicrafts
- Tour Operators Meet
- Ethnic food festival – showcasing the best delectable cuisines from the entire region
- Photography exhibition showcasing the vibrant culture, tribes and important landmarks of the region. Art Exhibition showcasing top artistes of North East both modern and traditional art forms
- Film Festival of North East to promote young upcoming filmmakers
- Traditional Sports of North East
- Fashion show displaying the rich ethnic fabric collections by top North East designers.
- Cultural programs in evening – musical performance by popular musicians from the North-East Region like Zubin Garg, Tetseo Sisters, Guru Reuban Masangva, Imphal Talkies, Soulmate, Girish the Chronicle, Vinyl Records etc. Bollywood singer – Ash King
- Day time Carnival – Tribal dance from various tribes of North East, Musical performance around 20 talented musical bands of the region
- Round-table discussions on issues of security of North Eastern people in Delhi, IT& ITES opportunities, Educaton, Sports, Agriculture Food Processing, Tourism,with participation from all major stakeholders of the region and the policymakers of the country