As the country gears up to choose another Prime Minister, we ask people from a cross-section of society on their aspirations from Elections 2014
MITRA PHUKAN draws up her expectations from LS elections 2014
- Firstly, peace. I hope to see, at least during my lifetime, a return of peace to this strife-torn land. Peace is the first requirement, the sine qua non, for development to take place. Peace will ensure that the people of various ethnicities can settle down to discussions, by which means the numerous problems that beset this land, can be solved, in an amicable manner.
- An end to corruption. This is really eating into the vitals of our society. When corruption is wiped out, development will hopefully follow, bringing with it prosperity for all citizens of this State.
- The endemic problems of floods and erosion in Assam will be solved. The sufferings and distress of the people of these valleys during the monsoons, and the hardships and economic losses they go through, should finally be alleviated. These problems have solutions. I hope that the political leaders and, more importantly, the bureaucrats, can finally get their act together, to put an end to this decades’ old problem.
- I visualize a change in the mindsets of the people. We are a very conservative people. I hope to see social changes that will free people, especially women, from meaningless social restrictions.
- I hope that religion will find its true place in the private lives and minds of the people, and will stop being used for political and sectarian causes.
- I hope Assam becomes, once more, a green and gold land, whose abundance and prosperity make it the envy of the rest of the country.